Molly Sanger Carpenter has been fascinated by art for as long as she can remember:
"My early interests included painting, pottery, and sculpture. I studied through my school years with teachers Bernie Felch and Helen Mason, and interned with sculptor Charles Cropper Parks during my senior High School project, where I gained experience in sculpture enlargement and reduction, mold making and casting. I attended The Frudakis Academy of Fine Art working with sculptor Evangelos Frudakis in figurative and portrait sculpture and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, while continuing to work with Charles Parks. Later, after establishing my studio, I continued my education, studying glass art and getting my certificate in welding. Most recently I have learned the mosaic techniques of Philadelphia artist Isaiah Zagar."
"In 1986 at the age of 26 I received a major commission from the Delaware Heritage Commission for the Constitutional Compass Rose on Legislative Mall in Dover, many private and public commissions have followed. Most recently I have installed work at the Cumberland County Library (NJ) and Atlantic City's Sculpture Walk."
"My work has been widely exhibited throughout the Northeast, and is in many private and public art collections worldwide It has been on view at the Philadelphia Flower Show, and at venues in New York City, including the Colosseum, Rockefeller Center, Ted Turner’s Goodwill Games, The National Arts Club on Gramercy Park and with the Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Society, the Hudson Valley Artists Association, and at the headquarters of the National Sculpture Society. Currently I am represented by Hope Gallery in Bristol, Rhode Island, Hardcastle Gallery of Delaware and the Gallery at Centerville, in Delaware, The Mullica Hill Art Center in Mullica Hill, NJ., and Gallerie Marie in Collingswood, NJ."
"I am constantly seeking opportunities to learn new materials and techniques. I seek to create images that resonate with childhood wonder and delight."
Education/ Work Experience
Studied with Helen Mason, Evangelos Frudakis FNSS, Charles Parks FNSS, 1978-1980, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Frudakis Academy of Fine Arts Philadelphia, Tatnall School (Wilmington, DE): First Annual Gold Medal for Excellence in Art, Glass Art at Salem Community College, Certificate of Welding at Salem County Vocational and Technical, Philadelphia Magic Gardens with Isaiah Zagar, Wilmington University (DE).
Public Art/ Commissions
- Constitutional Compass Rose commissioned by The Delaware Heritage Commission for U.S. Constitution Bicentennial, Legislative Hall, Dover, DE., 1987
- Independence Seaport Museum, Philadelphia, PA., 1996
- AI duPont Children's Hospital, Nemours, Emergency Dept. Wilmington, DE 1989
- AIDS Delaware., 1998
- Sculpture commissioned by the Bar Associations of Cumberland, Salem, and Gloucester Counties (NJ) honoring Judge Samuel Desimone, 2000
- Office of the President of Mannington Mills, 1986
- Creative Grandparenting of Delaware, portrait sculpture of Robert Kasey, 2000
- Finalist, Philadelphia Public Art Office Percent for the Arts Program. Police Forensic Science Center, 2000
- Finalist, State of Delaware, Commemorative sculpture for Gettysburg National Park, 1998
- Portrait Sculpture of Vincent Gioia, Quinton Twp School, Quinton, NJ 2001
- Portrait Sculpture, Adoption Annex, Roslyn NY 2004
- Portrait sculpture of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Martin Luther King Park, Salem, NJ, 2005
- Salem County Agriculture Department, Ware Building Mural, 2006
- Major donor award sculpture, AI duPont Children's Hospital, 2007 ongoing
- Cumberland County NJ Library, 2010, monumental bas-relief "With Libraries You Can Achieve Your Dreams" 2010
- AAA South Jersey, award sculpture, 2010
- New Jersey Assembly, Trenton, 2012
- Connecting Generations Portrait of Robert Kasey, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2013
- Salem Main Street, Walnut Street Mosaic, Salem, NJ, 2013
- Atlantic City Sculpture Walk, Atlantic City NJ, 2013, sponsored by the Atlantic City Alliance and the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority - in partnership with the Noyes Museum of Art of Stockton College.
Exhibits and Awards
- The Society of New Jersey Artists, 1982, Best of Show, First Place Sculpture
- The Society of New Jersey Artists 1983, First Place Sculpture
- Rehoboth Art League Annual Exhibit, 1983, Best of Show
- Abington Art Center Annual Exhibit 1983, Best of Show
- Academy of Arts, Easton Maryland Annual Exhibit 1983
- Gallery 50, Bridgeton, NJ, Miniature Show, First Place Sculpture 1984
- Small Wonders Exhibit, National Sculpture Society, NYC, 1997.
- Philadelphia Flower Show, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999.
- Wilmington Christmas Shop Artists' Gallery 1981-2001.
- Ronald McDonald House Artfest , 1996-98, 2003-05.
- New York Flower Show, The Colosseum, 1996.
- Flower and Garden Show, Rockefeller Center, 1996.
- River Sounding Exhibit, Independence Seaport Museum, Philadelphia, 1996.
- Longwood Gardens, (Kennett Square, PA, Annual Rare Plant Exhibit), 1993.
- Gallery 50 (Bridgeton, NJ), exhibitions, 1983, 1986, 1992, 2004
- Glassboro State College, group exhibition, 1989.
- Gloucester Community College, solo exhibition, 1988
- Vineland Public Library, solo exhibition, 1988.
- Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, National Arts Club, NYC, 1999
- Delaware Art Museum Art In Bloom 1999
- ORDA Museum, Goodwill Games Exhibit (by invitation) 2000
- Tawes Gallery, Millville, NJ, 2003
- Hudson Valley Artists Association, Annual Exhibit, National Arts Club, 2006, 2007
- Philadelphia Flower Show, 1988- 2007 various exhibits and awards
- Galleria Deptford, Deptford NJ, 2009
- Winterthur Museum's 2010 Point-to-Point Races in Wilmington, Delaware
- September 12- October15 2010- The Marie L. Matthews Gallery at the Johnson Education Center, D&R Greenway, Princeton, NJ
- Arts Council of the Morris Area (NJ), Emerging Patterns Exhibit, curated by Midori Yoshimoto, 2010
- Hopeworks Crib, Camden, NJ, exhibiting artist 2011- present
- Art at the Atrium, Benefit Habitat for Humanity, Brandywine Town Center, Wilmington, DE, 2009-10
- Neumann University Gallery Solo Exhibit October-December 2010
- Art Pride New Jersey, Lyceum Hall, Facebook Friends, Burlington, NJ, September 2011
- Salem County Arts In Bloom, Salem County NJ, 2008-2012
- Kennett Square Arts Loop Solo Shows, 2013, 2014
- Tatnall School Alumni Art Show 2013
- Philadelphia Sketch Club PHOTOgraphy July 2014
- Philadelphia Sketch Club, Absolutely Absract, August, 2014
- Philadelphia Sketch Club, Volunteer Appreciation Show, 2014
- Hockessin (DE) Fire Dept. Fall Arts Festival, 2014
- Salem County (NJ) Cultural & Heritage Commission Arts Committee 1998-2003
- National Sculpture Society, 1982-2011
- Salem County (NJ) Arts Alliance, Board of Directors- 1997-2007
- Vice-president Salem County Arts Alliance, 2000- 2007
- Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club1999-2000
- Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts 1999-2000
- International Sculpture Center, 2001
- Portrait Society of America, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
- Salem County Cultural and Heritage Board of Directors 2001- 2003
- Salem County Arts Consortium 2003, 2004
- Philadelphia Sculptors 2010-12
- Salem County Chamber of Commerce 2011-15
- Philadelphia Sketch Club 2014
- Salem County Chamber of Commerce 2011-15
- 2002 Who's Who in America, Who's Who in American Women, Who's Who in the World
- Historical Marker Database
- Todays Sunbeam, Salem County NJ: 10/27/2010, 1/27/2010, 5/19/06, 3/8/2000, 3/14/2003, 5/4/2002, 6/18/1997, 6/29/2002, 3/96, 5/19/2006, 3/25/2006, 3/6/1998, 2/17/2000, 10/6/1999, 11/14/1984, 6/22/1984, 8/6/1987, 6/1/1984, 11/21/2010
- New York Times 3/5/1998, 12/4/1988
- National Sculpture Society, Member and Colleague News 1/2001
- Artline Delaware 6/2002
- Best of NJ
- Delaware Today, 1/15/2007
- New York Times
- Smithsonian Institution Art Inventories Catalog and also this the same publication
- Chosen to be featured artist for 2013, ARTSYSHARK
- Featured in Women's Lifestyles magazine, South Jersey Times, May 9, 2013
- Video by ArtC
Experienced in- Bronze, Stone Carving, Wood Carving, Glass Casting, Sculpture Enlargement and reduction, Lampworking, AquaResin, Rubber Molds, Plaster Molds and Casting, Patinas, Mosaic, Gold Leaf, Cast Cement, Oil Paint, Acrylic, Oil Pastel, Drawing, Ceramic, Watercolor, Collage, Mask Making, Portraiture, Bas-Relief, Sculpture
Representing Galleries - Hardcastle Gallery, Centerville, DE, The Gallery at Centerville, Centerville, DE, Hope Gallery, Bristol RI, Mullica Hill Art Center, Mullica Hill, NJ, Gallerie Marie, Collingswood, NJ